Sunday, July 31, 2011

MeandMarj: A night out in New Orleans...


Alison: Grandmother, what does it feel like to be at a bar in New Orleans with all these medical students?
Grandmother: I wasn't born yesterday! I lived in California, I went to bars out there. We used to go to the Army Navy club in Long Beach, California.
Alison: What was it like going to bars out in California?
Grandmother: Why should it be any different than bars anywhere else?
Alison: What years were you out there?
Grandmother: Early 40's when I was at UCLA. That stands for the University of California at Los Angeles. That is where I was a KKG (Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority). My family was living in Long Beach and my father was the docking officer of the Pacific Fleet. He made arrangements for them to go in dry docks, stuff like that.
Alison: Do you have any stories of crazy nights out?
Grandmother: Not really, no. I used to date all these...my father was on the battleship California and so ... well...I dated all these ensigns that I called "insects".
Alison: So, you didn't find any cute men?
Grandmother: No, I guess not. None that I cared about.
Alison: Tell me a funny dating story.
Grandmother: Oh, my mother always waited until I came in the house because my father wasn't there. He was on the fleet and she wouldn't go to sleep until I got home.
Alison: Did you ever come home late?
Grandmother: One time my mother met me at the door and was screaming at the young man, "What do you mean by bringing my daughter home at this hour of the morning?" The poor guy trembled in his boots and got out of there fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment