Thursday, July 28, 2011

MeandMarj: Leap Year

Grandmother: Have you heard from Steve?
Alison: Oh yes, he contributed to the ACG newsletter. Two reasons to be optimistic about the deal flow (baby boomers and capital gains tax avoidance).
Grandmother: Baby boomers aren't old enough to retire.
Alison: How old do you think Dad is?
Grandma: 50.
Alison: 66 and guess what the retirement age is? 65. How old are you, Grandmother?
Grandmother: You don't want to know!
Alison: How old am I?
Grandmother: 24.
Alison: I'll be 28 next month.
Grandmother: Oh! You are getting old, especially not married. You are becoming an old maid. You better find a nice young man!
Alison: Guess how old Steve is...
Grandmother: 28.
Alison: 31!
Grandmother: He's getting old too... and not married. What are you two waiting around for? You aren't getting any younger!
Alison: It's not up to me, Grandmother!
Grandmother: Well, if it's a leap year, women can propose!
Alison: Really!?! When do you think the next one is?
We look up the next leap year and find out it's 2012...

Later, downstairs in my "apartment"...

Grandmother: All you need is a TV.
Alison: Why don't you give me one?
Grandmother: Give me, give me, give me! Get Steve to get you one!
Alison: That's a great idea! Tell Steve to get me one!
Grandmother: I will!

4 comments:

  1. Did this conversation occur over a gallon of ice cream and a bottle of wine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This conversation occurred over half a gallon of ice cream Wednesday evening. I went to the store in shorts, a button down, and flip flops. I am walking home with the ice cream and an older gentlemen smiles and says I look nice. I tell my grandmother about the nice man that complimented me and she said: I told you, you need to watch out for men on the street. I said but grandmother I'm wearing this grubby outfit and grandmother says, to men on the street - it doesn't matter. You need to be careful on the streets of Old Town, Alexandria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could be a fly on the wall for these conversations

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know women were allowed to propose on leap years! Thanks grandmother for the tip. Let's start planning our proposals now, we want them to be special right?

    ReplyDelete