Tuesday, September 4, 2012

MeandMarj: What was I?

Grandmother: You weren't in a sorority?
Alison: I was! Chi Omega - go Chi O! Chi Omega - go Chi O!
Grandmother: What was I?
Alison: Kappa Kappa Gamma.
Grandmother: I didn't join until I was at UCLA. There was no reason to at Duke. I needed a place to live at UCLA.
Alison: Oh, Grandmother.
Grandmother: It's true!
Alison: Did a lot of women go to college then?
Grandmother: Oh yeah...at Duke, they had a woman's campus and a men's campus.
Alison: Did you see the men?
Grandmother: Oh sure, we use to date them and everything else, but they were on separate campuses.
Alison: Did you keep up with your Kappa sisters from UCLA?
Grandmother: No, because I have my degree from Boston University. I started in Duke, then I transferred. My father went to the Pacific Fleet out of Long Beach California, so I transferred out there. He was out there for 2 years and then he transferred back to the east coast. I never thought I'd get out of school. I was determined. I was a very determined person. I have my degree right upstairs in my drawer. I was determined.
Alison: Why were you so determined?
Grandmother: I just was. I was a very determined person when it came to getting my degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment