Monday, April 23, 2012

MeandMarj: Gone with the Wind

Grandmother: I started reading Gone with the Wind again. Have you ever read it?
Alison: No, I haven't.
Grandmother: Oh, its a great book. I remember I read it in high school - in the 1930s.
Alison: Did everyone have to read it in high school?
Grandmother: No.
Alison: You just chose to read it?
Grandmother: Yes.
Alison: What did you like about it?
Grandmother: It's just a good story - Margaret Mitchell, she was a southern lady who wrote it, you know. She wrote it back in 19...19 something.
Alison: 1936.
Grandmother: I was going to say 1938.
Alison: How old were you?
Grandmother: I was in high school.
Alison: You were 16. What was it like being 16 in 1936?
Grandmother: I don't know.
Alison: You were there.
Grandmother: I know, but I don't remember what it was like!
Alison: Did you have a boyfriend?
Grandmother: They used to walk home with me from school because we lived in the same neighborhood, but I wouldn't call that being a boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment